Thursday, April 7, 2011

The job hunt...

Since I consider myself somewhat of an expert on this, I thought I would share some advice on searching for a job.  First, let's start with resume writing:

1. Hit spell check.  It is SO simple.  If you spell your title incorrectly, I am done.   No excuse.
2. While I am no expert on grammar, some people are so find someone to make sure it is grammatically correct.  

I know, no shit right?   Share some real advice...

3. Whoever told you to make your resume look impressive by adding as many words as possible was stupid.   Brevity is key.   The second I click on a resume that looks like a novel, I delete it.  

4. STOP making up fancy titles for positions.   Seriously, Chief Administration Officer is stupid.  You are an Executive Admin and the boss told you to call yourself what you want so you are now the CAO.  Two things will happen - your resume won't come up on a regular search (Career Builder, Monster, etc.) and hiring managers will automatically assume they can't afford you.   Sandwich Artist = stupid.   A lady sent me a resume one time that had Professional Animal Explorer - WTF?  Dog Walker - you walk dogs.   There is nothing wrong with that until you made me feel like Dog Walker was not enough so you had to glorify your position.   Which brings me to my very least favorite - Domestic Engineer.  Ladies, while I might offend you here - you are a stay-at-home mom.   While I think it is the hardest job in the book and I don't think I could do it, there is no need to make up a fancy title for it.   Gaps in employment on a resume can be bad so I see why people find it necessary to put the time they stayed home with their kids but I HATE Domestic Engineer.  Why?  Because I can't tell you how many times I am looking for an Engineer of some sort and this resume comes up in the search.  

5.  Don't put hobbies, interests, etc. on a professional resume.  That was for your high school resume so that the girls in Rush would know if you were cool or not.

Now for the applying to positions...

1.  Just because you want to work for the company does not mean you should apply for any position they have available.  It is just plain annoying.   If you see a job that you are not one bit qualified for, don't apply.  Seriously, a cashier applying for an Accounting Executive position just because you counted out change for people makes no sense. 

2.  If you do qualify for the position and you are really interested, apply more than once.  

Interviewing...

1.   Do not bring your kids to an interview.  Obvious, right?   Nope.  It happens all the time!

2.  DO NOT ASK FOR DIRECTIONS.  Seriously people it is 2011 - have you heard of the Internet?   Look it up. 

3.  I don't care how personable the interviewer is, don't get too comfortable.   I had a girl the other day that spread her legs up to my desk, put both elbows under her chin, and starting asking me about my life.  No thanks.  

4.  This too is going to sound obvious but it happens with every level of person - answering your cell phone while in an interview is ridiculous.  Turn it off.   I realize that we are all very important people but you will be okay if you disconnect for 30-45 minutes of your life. 

I have way, way, way more but don't have time because I need to go interview a Sales Executive lady that is wearing a track suit.  Awesome. 

No comments: