Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Burbs

Last Friday, I went to lunch with my friend J and we did a brief catch up on my success on Match.   I was telling her about how it is just insane to me what people will say on this thing.   So, she helped me with a little advice - mostly get over it and give them a chance.    The amount of males that just send some sort of line about my smile or my looks or something - it bugs me and clearly I need to get over it.   BUT, the main reason it bugs me is that it is impossible to know how to respond.  I see it going something like this:

Male - "You had me at your smile."
Me - Uh, thanks.  

Conversation dead.   While I know that I am not one to receive compliments well, all I am asking for is a little more.    More like this:

Male - "I wish I was your dentist so I could take credit for that smile.   So, you like to travel - tell me more about that."
Me - Well, it all started when I was two and my parents took me to etc. etc. etc.  

I desire a conversation starter - if you don't ask for a response then I won't send one.  Anyway, J basically told me to get over it and initiate back which I am working on.    The best part came next when I was talking about a guy who actually wrote something worth while and actually sparked my interest.    Immediately we broke out my phone so she could see more of this dude which led to this:

J - He's 40, divorced, 3 kids and lives in Pearland.   (She reads on and on discovering more and more about the interesting fella.)   He didn't graduate from college, is in the process of starting his own company (aka unemployed) and doesn't want more kids.   BUT, he's 40, 3 kids and lives in Pearland - I don't know what is worst.  
J & K - (Simultaneously) PEARLAND.

People, I met my match on someone who can pick apart a profile maybe better than me.   And before I go pissing people off from Pearland, let me explain.   I was born and raised in the city and I love it here.   Would I ever move to a suburb - I don't know but I would have to really understand the meaning of love for that.   The idea of commuting an hour plus a day and then having to stay sober enough to drive home sounds terrifying to me.  Believe me, I understand the benefits of not living in the city but I won't begin to consider something like that as a single person.   Would I really not date someone from a burb, NO!    But, this guy had a few two many strikes against him.   

J got to see more of where I was coming from with some of my reasonings.   Judging someone on paper is so easy to do which is why I can never see a site like this really working for me.   Again, I am getting over that and I promise I am trying.    I even gave my number to a guy who didn't want to email anymore - he wanted to text instead - because that is so different.  

The one major positive I have found about match over eHarms is that it seems like everyone is way more active on it.    There are definitely a lot of very good looking men although there are equal parts not and those seem to be the most outwardly interested at first.  

Maybe Texty McTexter will ask me out so I can actually have a date to report on.    We will see!  

No comments: